Four Important Guidelines to Hydrate for Your Health
Follow these four guidelines for optimal hydration:
1. Choose high quality water. Just like knowing the source of your food is important, it’s critical to choose a high-quality source of water. Spring water and artesian are tops if you live near these sources. In the San Diego area, we have access to Carlsbad Alkaline Water. Tap water, however, has many toxins, like fluoride, aluminum, and disinfectants, like chloramines and chlorine. I recommend filtering your tap water. Look for a quality countertop, whole house, or under-sink filter that fits your budget. The Environmental Working Group has water filter information and comparisons at ewg.org.
2. Listen to your body. While experts will give you guidelines about how much water to drink, make sure you listen to your body. Everyone is different, so strive to prioritize hydration. Don’t force your body if you feel like you’re over-hydrating.
3. Minerals are a must. Minerals are the spark plugs of your body. They boost your energy, help reduce stress, and run every enzymatic function in your body. To truly hydrate, you need minerals. Yet mineral deficiency is so common that the World Health Organization is calling it a global epidemic. If you’re drinking all day long and not feeling hydrated, or if you are fatigued, exercise vigorously, or are stressed, you may be mineral-deficient. Adding just ¼ teaspoon of sea salt to your glass of water can return electrolytes (minerals) into your body.
Here’s a great mineral, energy, and detox cocktail for improved hydration:
- 2 cups water
- 1-2 teaspoons raw honey (optional)
- 1 teaspoon 40,000 Volts!* (by Trace Minerals Research). If you engage in vigorous workouts, have chronic fatigue, orthostatic intolerance, or dysautonomia, you could consider adding one more teaspoon.
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Juice of ½ lemon
*Mix together and drink first thing in the morning. Prepare another batch to drink at 3:00 pm on the same day.
4. Spice it up. A wonderful hydration-boosting tip from Ayurvedic medicine is to add 20 to 30 cumin seeds to 4-8 glasses of room temperature water, steep for 20 minutes, then strain out the seeds. Whole cumin seeds balance the overly cooling nature of water and help balance blood sugar, aid digestion, promote bone density, and provide cancer-protective properties.
*40,000 Volts! is available online.