A Closer Look at Bastyr University
Bastyr University, one of the most respected schools of natural health arts and sciences, offers degrees in nutrition and naturopathic medicine at its San Diego Campus, along with a natural health clinic.
Bastyr’s nutrition programs encompass a “whole food" approach – looking at food in its entirety and its components and how it affects the human body.
The Triple A Salad, from Bastyr’s nutrition kitchen, offers a balance of healthy fats, plant proteins, phytonutrients, and satisfying textures.
Triple A Salad
- ¼ cup raw almonds
- 4 cups salad greens
- ⅛ cup dry arame, soaked in 1 cup water
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then roast the almonds on a dry cookie sheet for 7 - 10 minutes or until aromatic. Coarsely chop roasted almonds.
- Wash the salad greens in cold water. Spin or pat dry. Drain arame and add to the greens.
- Whisk together sesame oils, rice vinegar, rice syrup, Dijon mustard, sea salt and poppy seeds in the bottom of a salad bowl. Add the greens and seaweed. Toss to combine just before serving.
- Slice avocado in long strips and gently fold into salad; garnish with almonds.
Anyone interested in learning the basics of whole foods nutrition while practicing their culinary skills can check out the monthly “Cooking for Healthy Living” classes offered at the campus,
(The content above was generously sponsored by Bastyr University)