- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion (small), finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
- Two 8-ounce cans organic tomato sauce
- to taste salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until softened, but not brown.
2. Add brown sugar, paprika, allspice, and cloves and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar melts.
3. Turn up the heat to medium and add vinegar and tomato paste. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the mixture has thickened.
4. Add tomato sauce and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very thick.
5.Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to two weeks.