- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (heaping) finely sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅓ cup hazelnut oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 heads Belgian endive, trimmed, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 2 heads frisée lettuce, center leaves only, torn into pieces
- 2 blood oranges or regular oranges, segmented
- ½ cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
Whisk the balsamic vinegar, shallots and honey in a medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.
Toss the endive and frisée in a large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad to taste with salt and pepper. Mound the salad onto plates. Surround with the orange segments. Sprinkle with hazelnuts. Drizzle any remaining vinaigrette around the salads and serve immediately.