- 1 pound of smelts (try to find them around 4½ inches so they don’t need to be deboned)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour for dredging
- Salt & pepper
- Coarse sea salt
- Canola oil
- Lemon wedges
- Pat fish dry with paper towel. Remove bones if necessary. Season flour with salt and pepper, add flour to 1 gallon storage bag.
- Add fish to the bag and shake to coat the fish in flour. In a large pan, add canola oil to cover the bottom of the pan, about 1 inch deep. Heat oil, then place fish in pan. Brown 1 side (about 2 minutes) and flip to brown the other side. Cook them in a single layer and execute in batches until all fish are fried.
- Remove excess oil with paper towel and place fish on platter.
- Generously sprinkle with coarse sea salt and serve warm with lemon wedges.