- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup spring garlic, chopped (also called garlic scapes, substitute green onion if unavailable)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1.5 pounds fresh fava beans, washed and in the pod (younger beans are better)
- 1 lemon, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 4 fillets canned anchovies, finely chopped
Make the Dressing
In a blender, combine sea salt, chili flakes, mint, spring garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice. Blend until smooth.
Prepare the Pods
In a large mixing bowl, add the washed pods and the dressing; toss to coat. Place dressed pods on a grill over medium-high heat. Set aside the large mixing bowl, do not wash (it will be used to toss the pods in the residual dressing later).
Grill the Favas and Lemon
Grill pods for 5 minutes, until charred, then turn and char 5 minutes more, or until softened. Place lemon rounds on grill just until charred and slightly softened, set aside.
Put it all Together
Remove pods from grill and add them back to the large mixing bowl from earlier. Add the chopped anchovies and toss to coat.
Place the pods and charred lemon rounds on a serving platter, spooning over any extra dressing from the large mixing bowl and topping with fresh lemon zest.
Serve hot or at room temperature and enjoy with your hands (it’s messy but worth it!).