- 5 red bell peppers
- ½ white onion
- 5 Fresno chili peppers
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cumin seed
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ⅓ cup sherry vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Recipe by Chef Jeremy Scullin, Kindred
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove seeds from bell peppers and medium dice bell peppers, onion, chili peppers (with seeds), and garlic.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Transfer mixture to a two-inch deep baking dish, cover with foil, and roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Carefully uncover baking dish and stir. Continue roasting mixture uncovered for 30 minutes or until all vegetables have started to break down and release water. The onion and garlic should be beginning to caramelize.
- Remove from oven and let mixture cool to room temperature. Blend in a high-speed blender. Adjust consistency of the sauce with a little water if desired.
Tip: Harissa freezes well. Simply store excess Harissa in freezer bags and defrost as needed.
Kindred 1503 30th St. San Diego 619-546-9653