- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup non-GMO cornmeal (such as Bob’s Red Mill Blue Cornmeal)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped smoked chicken
- ¼ cup red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ cup scallion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup beer
- ¼ cup coconut cream
Stir together cornmeal and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Add the egg, beer, and coconut cream and stir just until moistened. Let stand 10 minutes. Working in batches, gently roll the hush puppy dough into golf ball-sized balls then dab with paper towels on all sides to dry the surface a bit.
Cook the Hush Puppies: Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven or deep fryer and bring to 375°. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°. Carefully lower a few hush puppies into hot oil using a slotted spoon. Take care not to crowd the pot or fryer. Fry until golden brown and cooked through, turning with a wooden spoon for even browning, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Keep warm in the preheated 200° oven.