- 1 teaspoon, more to taste sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup green lentils, picked and rinsed
- 3/4 - 1 cup brown rice, basmati or other long grain (substitute basmati, if you like)
- to taste fresh ground black pepper
- 6-8 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, cut into thing rounds or slices
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (optional, for garnish)
Place a saucepan filled with 4 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt over high heat. Add lentils and brown rice and bring to a boil.
Add black pepper and reduce to a simmer. Cover and let cook for 30-45 minutes or until rice is cooked through. You made need to add another cup of water, so check after 30 minutes. *If using white basmati rice, reduce cooking time to 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, make your onion oil. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until it's a rich, dark brown, about 15 minutes.
Fold onions and oil into the lentil rice mixture and adjust seasoning to taste.
This dish is wonderful served warm, at room temperature, or even cold. Garnish with yogurt, if you like.