- 5 pounds ground opah
- 1½ cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- ½ cup chopped pine nuts
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- 3 cups Oil for frying
- ½ cup garlic, roasted, cleaned and mashed
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Mix all ingredients well, except the feta cheese.
- Add the feta last, to preserve the crumbles, and mix slowly for 20 seconds.
- Shape into meatballs about 2 inches in diameter. Heat oil in a deep frying pan or a fryer at 375°.
- Slide meatballs carefully into the hot oil for 1 minute.
- Remove carefully with a slotted spoon and place them on a sheet pan until ready to bake.
- To serve, bake in a pre-heated oven at 350° for about 5 minutes. Test 1 before serving to be sure it’s cooked through.