- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Meyer lemon, juice only
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 hearts of endive, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bulb fennel, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 mandarin oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 4 4-ounce steaks Sushi-grade ahi tuna (yellowtail)
- to taste sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, like vegetable
- 1 Meyer lemon, zest only
1. Make the Dressing
Combine dressing ingredients in a sealable jar. Tighten lid and shake until emulsified. Set aside to let flavors develop, for at least 15 minutes.
2. Prepare the Salad
On a large platter arrange cut lettuce, fennel, and mandarin.
3. Prepare the Tuna
Place sesame seeds in a shallow dish. Pat tuna dry and lightly season with salt and pepper. Press tuna steaks into sesame seeds, covering all sides evenly.
Heat a large pan over med-high heat and add oil. When oil just begins to smoke place tuna steaks in pan. Cook for 1 minute, until sesame seeds turn golden brown. Flip and cook additional 1 minute and then 15 seconds on each edge to finish. *Do not overcrowd the pan, work in batches if necessary.
Remove tuna steaks from pan and pat with paper towel to remove excess oil.
4. Put it all Together
Cut tuna into 1/4-inch slices and arrange over the salad. Sprinkle with Meyer lemon zest and serve immediatly with dressing on the side for drizzling.