- 6 cups 6 cups chopped, smoked, chilled vegetable ribs
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup evaporated sugar cane (or light brown sugar)
- ½ cup orange juice
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon green peppercorns
- 12 ounces fish (ono, salmon, opah or monchong)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 heirloom tomato
Lightly smoke the leftover vegetable ribs from the previous recipe for 10 minutes in a smoker, careful not to let them brown. If you do not have a smoker, roast them over low heat on a barbecue. Chill in the refrigerator.
Combine all pesto ingredients in a blender.
Salt to taste, keeping in mind the saltiness of the Parmesan cheese
In a sauté pan on high heat, warm the olive oil. Once the oil starts to crackle, quickly sear the fish on all four sides, 30 to 45 seconds per side. Set fish on paper towels and let cool for a minute. Cut fish against the grain into bite-size slices. Plate the fish on a dollop of pesto and garnish with diced heirloom tomato.
There will be pesto left over. Save it for future use or enjoy it with cooked pasta.