Learn what to plant, eat, and cook each season in San Diego County.
- 1 pound (~3 cups) grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 white onion, peeled, halved lengthwise, cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, gently crushed
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
Set rack to the middle and preheat the oven to 225 F.
In a large baking dish or roasting pan add tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Add saffron threads, salt, pepper, and olive oil; stir to combine. Spread into a single layer and bake until tomatoes are wrinkled and slightly browned, but still plump, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes.
Gently fold in parsley. Taste, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Transfer to an air tight jar and close lid when cooled completely.
Toss in salads or with pasta, spoon over baked fish, or use as part of an antipasti board. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.