- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon toasted fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons saffron
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 5 pounds very ripe organic tomatoes
- 2 cups organic honey
Good gifts come from the heart, but I like to give gifts that also appeals to the taste buds. San Diego is a great place for produce and homemade jams are a great way to preserve the bounty of goodness even when strawberries, tomatoes or figs are out of season. When you make homemade jams or jellies, people notice the extra thought and effort. So even a small jar shows you put a lot of thought into the gift.-
- Toast the garlic, fennel seed and saffon in a sauté pan over medium heat, then pour in the white wine.
- Transfer the mixture into a large pot over very low heat and add the tomatoes and honey.
- Cook, stirring constantly to break up the tomatoes so they release their juices.
- Cover and let cook, stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning, for 8 hours. Transfer to refrigerator-safe jars.
NOTE: Have fun … this one takes a while!