- 4 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed Italian herbs
- 6 ounces canned Italian cannellini beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- A few fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1 ¼ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 355°.
Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Combine tomatoes and peppers in a bowl with olive oil and Italian herbs. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Place vegetables on tray and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
In a blender, purée the beans with the roasted vegetables, tomato purée, a few basil leaves and water until smooth. Transfer to a pot and heat through on the stove top.
Serve topped with julienne cut basil and, if desired, vegan croutons.