- 2 cups organic rhubarb stalks grown with rain-harvested water
- 2 cups organic strawberries
- 1 cup fair-trade organic sugar or local honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup organic lemon juice
- 1 cup organic dry-farmed flour
- 3/4 cup organic dried oats
- 4-6 ounces pasture-raised butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup fair-trade organic sugar or local honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- dash cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Clean the rhubarb and cut into ½-inch pieces. Rinse the strawberries and cut in half or quarters depending on the size of the strawberries. If you want the flavors to blend, cut the fruit in thin slices, although big, chunky pieces make a good pie too.
Mix rhubarb and strawberries in a bowl with sugar or honey.
Add lemon zest and about a ¼ cup of lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, oats and butter for the crumb topping.
Add the remaining honey or sugar, lemon zest and cinnamon.
Combine till they form small clumps.
Pour the rhubarb and strawberry mixture into a 9- by 12-inch greased glass pan. Form little dumplings with the dry mixture and cover the pan completely with crumb topping.
Sprinkle a little sugar on the crumbs.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. The pie is done when the liquid bubbles on the edge of the pan.