- 1 whole sculpin, gutted, scaled and spines removed
- To taste Salt and pepper
- pinch Cornstarch for frying
- 2 cups sliced sugar snap peas
- cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- bunch cilantro, chopped
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Olive oil, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 tamarind pods
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon sambal sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- ½ cup olive oil
Whole Fried Local Sculpin
Heat oil in a large skillet until it reaches 350°.
Meanwhile, season fish with salt and pepper, then coat fish in cornstarch.
Fry fish in the oil for about 7 minutes, until just cooked through.
Place fish on top of sugar snap pea salad and spoon tamarind sauce over fish.
Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
Sugar snap pea salad
- Mix snap peas, bell pepper, and cilantro together in a bowl.
- Mix lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper, and toss with vegetable mixture.
- Check for seasoning and serve.
- Peel and remove seeds from tamarind pods.
- Cover tamarind with orange juice, sugar and a little water and bring to boil.
- Cook until soft. Blend the tamarind with soy sauce and rice vinegar.
- Whisk together with remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Let sauce sit for at least 2 hours.