- 1 butternut squash (medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 2 cups chicken stock (sub vegetable stock for vegetarian preparation)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- to taste salt
- for garnish Greek yogurt
- for garnish fresh cilantro, choppe
- for garnish toasted nuts and seeds
1. Peel the squash, cut in half, remove the seeds, and rough-cut into 1 inch cubes.
2. In a saucepot, heat oil over medium heat and sauté the onion, garlic, and curry powder until soft but no caramelization or browning has occurred. Add the squash and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and reduce the temperature to medium. Cook for approximately 20 minutes or until the squash is soft. Add the coconut milk and cook for another 10 minutes so the flavors come together.
3. Transfer soup to a blender and blend on high until smooth. It may be necessary to do this in batches. Use caution, making sure the lid is secure, and only fill the blender halfway. Pour soup back into the saucepot and season with salt to taste. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with Greek yogurt and cilantro, and some toasted nuts, if you like.