- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, liquid only
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar (may substitute lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (may substitute vinegar)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt, fine (not kosher)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 3/4 cup light olive oil, sunflower oil, or vegetable oil
1. Drain the chickpeas, reserving the liquid and setting aside the chickpeas for future use. Pour 1/4 cup of the chickpea liquid (also called aquafaba) into a large glass measuring cup or the bowl of a food processor. Add vinegar, lemon, salt, sugar, dry mustard, garlic powder* (*optional).
2. Using an immersion blender or food processor with blade attachment, mix until combined and beginning to froth. With the blender or food processor running, slowly drizzle in the oil over about 5 minutes. Keep blending until the mixture thickens (this can take up to 10 minutes).
3. Taste and adjust seasonings, mixing in additional spices, if you like. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.